OTTAWA, ON, Sept. 28, 2023 /CNW/ – On Friday, September 29, 2023, members of the media are invited to the RCMP Breeding Farm in Pakenham, ON, to view some of the horses up for auction during the 2023 Musical Ride Horse Auction, October 2-11, 2023. This year, six horses will be up for auction.
- meet some of the horses up for auction, see them in the paddock/pasture
- speak with Karen Ryan, Manager of the Pakenham Farm, to learn more about the breeding program
- speak with S/M Scott Williamson, Riding Master, about the Musical Ride, horse training
Access to the event will be limited and restricted. Media representatives must book in advance by contacting RCMP Media Relations at [email protected] by September 27, 2023, 4:00 pm EDT.
Date: Friday, September 29, 2023 at 11:00 am EDT
Location: 2683 Concession 11 North
Pakenham, ON K0A 2X0
Media arrival: Proceed to main parking lot at the end of the main stable (follow paved driveway around the main barn). Farm Manager will greet media upon arrival and sign in, and will provide biosecurity instructions.
Media registration deadline: September 27, 2023, 4:00 pm EDT
The RCMP hosts an online horse auction to sell surplus horses from the Musical Ride and the RCMP Breeding Program. Six horses of various ages, skills, training levels and temperament are expected to be sold at this year’s auction.
RCMP Breeding Program:
- The RCMP has been breeding its own horses since 1939.
- In 1942, the RCMP Breeding Program was established formally in Fort Walsh, Saskatchewan before relocating in 1968 to its current 140-hectare location in Pakenham, Ontario.
- The RCMP Breeding Program maintains stringent requirements for size, conformation, temperament and colour, which are as important as substance and stamina to withstand the demands of national and international touring of the RCMP Musical Ride.
- The RCMP Breeding Program is known around the world as a world-class breeder of Hanoverian horses. Hanoverians are extremely versatile in all equine disciplines and are a well-known sport horse.
SOURCE Royal Canadian Mounted Police