DUBAI, UAE, Feb. 23, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — As Barcelona Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2022 approaches, global technology OPPO, has unveiled its 2021 OPPO Sustainability Report, detailing the company’s achievements in integrating sustainability and eco-friendly concepts into its entire product lifecycle as it continues to pursue its brand mission of “Technology for Mankind, Kindness for the World”.
- OPPO is committed to implementing the internationally recognized “3R+1D” sustainable packaging principles, and sticks to reducing weight of packaging, reusing recycled materials, using recyclable and biodegradable materials in its packaging. Starting from the European market, in 2021, OPPO successfully reduced the amount of packaging used for its smartphone products by 24% compared with 2019 levels. Approximately 45% of this packaging was made by recycled fiber, and the overall plastic used in packaging of its smartphone products has reduced by 95% since 2019.
- To support product durability, OPPO has introduced an self-developed Battery Health Engine to increase the lifespan of its batteries. With this innovative technology, battery capacity is able to maintained at as high as 80% after up to 1600 charging-discharging cycles.
- OPPO has already established a product recycling system, offering trade-in services in domestic and international markets to promote the recycling and reuse of used mobile phones. In China, more than 1.2 million phones have been recycled through the scheme to date, equating to more than 216 tons in electronic waste.
Alongside its own actions, OPPO has also been working closely with other partners to promote sustainability:
- For two consecutive years, OPPO has partnered with National Geographic to support the protection of endangered species through the OPPO Endangered Color Campaign.
- OPPO was one of the first to join the Eco Rating Labeling Scheme and perform well. The scheme is initiated by leading European mobile operators to evaluate the environmental performance of mobile phones in five key areas: durability, repairability, recyclability, climate efficiency.
Aside from its efforts on environment protection, OPPO has long taken actions to contribute to sustainable development, with focus on key areas including digital inclusion, health and wellbeing, and youth empowerment. For example, OPPO developed the Color Vision Enhancement feature which offers 766 display profiles, providing personalized solution for people with color vision impairment. OPPO has long taken actions to empower young people. For three consecutive years, OPPO has also run its Renovators Emerging Artists Project, which provides a platform for young creatives to conceptualise how art and technology will intertwine in the future.
OPPO will exhibit at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2022 in Barcelona under the theme, “Shape the Future”. During MWC 2022, OPPO will showcase its innovative mobile technologies, latest achievements in AR and 5G, and success stories in sustainability. In-person visitors can find OPPO’s Booth at #3M10, Hall 3, Fira Gran Via, Barcelona from February 28th to March 3rd 2022. OPPO will host a keynote presentation at Central European Time 15:00pm on February 28th. Everyone is welcome to visit OPPO’s MWC booth or join through the live stream on OPPO’s official YouTube channel.
Learn more about OPPO’s 2021 Sustainability Report here.
OPPO is a leading global technology brand since 2004, dedicated to providing products that seamlessly combines art and innovative technology.
OPPO is on a mission to building a multiple-access smart device ecosystem for the era of intelligent connectivity. The smartphone devices have simply been a gateway for OPPO to deliver a diverse portfolio of smart and frontier technologies in hardware, software and system. In 2019, OPPO launched a $7 Billion US Dollar three-year investment plan in R&D to develop core technologies furthering design through technology.
OPPO is firmly pursuing the creation of the best technology products and technological artistry for global users. Based on the brand elements of leading, young and beautiful, OPPO dedicates to the mission of letting the extraordinary users enjoy the beauty of technology.
For the last 10 years, OPPO has focused on manufacturing smartphones with camera capabilities that are second to none. OPPO launched the first mobile phone, the Smile Phone, in 2008, which marked the launch of the brand’s epic journey in exploring and pioneering extraordinary technology. Over the years, OPPO has built a tradition of being number one, which became a reality through inventing the world’s first rotating camera smartphone way back in 2013, launching the world’s then thinnest smartphone in 2014, being the first to introduce 5X Zoom ‘Periscope’ camera technology and developing the first 5G commercial smartphone in Europe.
Today, OPPO was ranked as the number four smartphone brand globally. OPPO brings the aesthetics of technology of global consumers through the ColorOS system Experience, and Internet service like OPPO Cloud and OPPO+.
OPPO’s business covers 40 countries with over six research institutes and five R&D centers across the world, from San Francisco to Shenzhen. OPPO also opened an International Design Centre headquartered in London, driving cutting edge technology that will shape the future not only for smartphones but for intelligent connectivity.
About OPPO MEA
OPPO started its journey in the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region in 2015 after setting up its regional office in Egypt. Following the immense success of the brand’s sales centre in Cairo in the first year, OPPO accelerated its expansion plan across the MEA region and inaugurated its country operations in the UAE in 2019. Now OPPO is physically present in more than 13 markets across the region, including Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa and the Levant.
To empower its presence in the region in line with its product localisation strategy, OPPO further invested in MENA and set up its very own factory in Algeria in 2017, thus, becoming the first Chinese brand to build a manufacturing premises in North Africa. Based on insights of local consumers in each country, OPPO has evolved the progress of product localisation, taking into consideration several perspectives towards each market, including product localisation, to further meet the core needs of users; marketing localisation, to better communicate with local young customers; and talent localisation, to understand local consumers further and provide an optimum customer service.
Within the last year, OPPO has started to adjust its product line in the Middle East region specifically. This has included the launch of its flagship OPPO Find X Series and the introduction of the OPPO Reno Series. OPPO will continue to evolve its local product line to offer more premium series to consumers in the region.
A forward-thinking international technology company, OPPO strives to be a sustainable company that contributes to a better world and have enacted positive change in every way possible through activating local community initiatives and humanitarian, charity campaigns.