The new deal was created by President Franklin Roosevelt to address the great depression. This new deal created a range of public works programs.
The term “green new deal” was first suggested by Thomas Friedman in 2007 who started advocating for the reduce if carbon emissions, ending the use of fossil fuels and a wide range of all other things. This concept followed through president Franklin’s “new deal” and was effective because president Barack Obama used it in his campaign. The green new deal was unveiled last month by senator Ed markey and representative Alexandria Ocasio-cortez. A climate legislation. The green new deal calls for a ten year plan to change America’s power demand, the use of an alternate energy, climate change and other environmental challenges, universal health care and provision of jobs. The green new deal aims to address climate change and comic inequality.
Here is the plan for the green new deal.
- The ambition of the green new deal is to, generate electricity through clean and renewable resources– like wind, solar, hydroelectricity and geothermal energy. Remove carbon capture technology and nuclear energy. They essentially aim to reduce Carbondioxide emissions.
- The green new deal is aiming to “overhaul transportation by expanding the manufacturing of electric vehicles. They would make sure traveling with air is no longer necessary by building high speed rail. Build a system that supports zero emissions
- They also desire to “upgrade or replace every building in US for state-of-the-art energy efficiency. The aim of this is to lower carbon emissions and improve energy efficiency.
- They also want to foster the growth of clean manufacturing and cut all green house gas emissions from industries.
- The GND plans to improve agriculture, by support farming, improve soil heath and ensure universal access to healthy food by creating a food system.
- Restore and protect endangered ecosystems.
- Identify and remove carbon emissions and other sources of pollution.
- Make the united states the world leader on climate action and help others country achieve the green new deal
- Reduce health, economic and other effects of climate change and pollution.
- Preserve trees, plants and land, using low tech solutions to increase soil carbon storage in other to remove Carbondioxide(CO2) from the atmosphere.
- Provide jobs
- Provide health care services for all Americans.
The goal of the green new deal is said to be highly ambitious as fossil fuels– petroleum, coal and natural gas accounts for 80% of the U.S energy consumption. The question to how much this plan would cause has not been answered. What has been put down on paper is a request to proposals.The blue print has been updated but there are no plans or suggested policies in achieving this goal. The GND is backed by several democratic presidential candidates
Read some opposing views on the green new deal.
The US energy secretary under President Barack Obama, according to NPR, Ernest Moniz has called the plan impractical and unrealizable. Senator John Barrasso of Wyoming, chairman of the Senate’s environment committee released that the green new deal is “a socialist manifesto that lays out a laundry list of government giveaways, including guaranteed food, housing, college, and economic security even for those who refuse to work”
” I think it is very important for the Democrats to press forward with their Green New Deal. It would be great for the so-called ‘Carbon Footprint’ to permanently eliminate all Planes, Cars, Cows, Oil, Gas & the Military – even if no other country would do the same. Brilliant!” President Donald Trump said mocking the proposal.
The chances of the green new deal being signed into law is slim. The legislation on the green new deal would never be passed in the republican senate or even be signed into law by President Donald trump.
However, the people are in support of of the GND. They believe in the socialist and think that health care, a clean environment, free education and employment should be a right and not a privilege. When president Franklin’s deal came forth, he was considered a ” traitor to his class” . He understood how poverty was politically destabilizing, he understand that for a nation to grow economically, the workers needed enough money to purchase items. The people believe that GND is the change they need and people are willing to stake for it. The American people recognize that the GND is fighting for them and that is why they support it. It’s plans are in their favour. From supporting agriculture, reducing CO2 emissions, building new infrastructure, all for them. They believe that the jobs crated would bridge the gap for those who aren’t able to meet the educational requirements of the modern day economy. The GND makes sense with the setup for capitalism, individual wealth and value should grow with the nation. The corporation that has abused the nation’s tax rate up until now, will get a proper tax. American have gotten too used to paying low tax rates in the green new deal, there would be a lift in tax payer by corporations. The green new deal secure the future.
In conclusion, the green new deal is proposed by democrats who are willing to ‘push’ it forward, although there are no plans, technologies and strategies in place to pursue this deal, the fact that it has created a movement is extremely satisfying. It doesn’t matter whether president Trump signs the deal or not, the key point is that green new deal is now on the agenda and on the minds the people.