OAK BROOK, Ill., Oct. 19, 2022 /PRNewswire/ –In recognition of National Dental Hygiene Month, Delta Dental shares encouraging findings from its 2022 survey showing U.S. adults and parents are doing their part to practice diligent oral care at home.
The good news also extends to the dentist, as more adults and children made oral health preventive visits in 2022 than the year prior. Key findings from the 2022 study include:
Following best practices
- US. adults follow recommended oral health guidelines at home – brushing their teeth twice a day, and flossing and using mouthwash once a day, on average.
- More than half of U.S. adults (55%) follow ADA guidelines on how often to replace toothbushes, while a vast majority of parents (93%) do the same for their children.
Going beyond the toothbrush
- Nearly 1 in 2 adults (49%) use fluoride products, and approximately 4 in 5 parents (79%) believe fluoride is very, if not extremely, important to their child’s oral health and prevents cavities.
- To improve their oral health and smiles, 20% of adults use whitening products, 15% use a tongue scraper, and 10% use either a mouthguard or night guard.
Always room for improvement
- About 2 in 3 (65%) moms and dads find it difficult to get their child to brush their teeth, with 1 in 4 (25%) reporting their child does not like the taste of toothpaste.
“Oral health is critically important to overall health and well-being,” said Joseph Dill, DDS, MBA, Chief Dental Officer, Delta Dental Plans Association. “In our national study, I am encouraged to see how adults and children across the country are committed to good oral health care through brushing, flossing, and making regular dentist visits to enhance their overall quality of life.”
Learn more about consumer opinions and behaviors related to oral health in the Delta Dental State of America’s Oral Health and Wellness Report.
About the survey
The 2022 State of America’s Oral Health and Wellness Report is based upon Delta Dental-commissioned research conducted between January 19 and January 28, 2022, by Material Holdings, LLC, a global insights and strategy consultancy. The research used an email invitation and online surveys to two audiences recruited through an opt-in panel of 1,172 parents of children ages 12 and younger and 1,027 nationally representative Americans ages 18+.
Quotas were set to ensure a reliable and accurate representation of the U.S. population of adults and parents with children ages 12 and younger. The report has a margin of error of +/- 3%.
About Delta Dental Plans Association
Based in Oak Brook, Illinois, Delta Dental Plans Association is the not-for-profit national association of the 39 independent Delta Dental companies. Through these companies, Delta Dental is the nation’s largest dental insurance provider, covering more than 85 million Americans and offering the country’s largest dental network with approximately 154,000 participating dentists. Over the last decade, Delta Dental companies provided over $1.88 billion in direct and in-kind support to improve the oral health of our communities. Visit deltadental.com for information on individual dental insurance plans and group dental insurance plans.
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/adults-children-make-oral-care-a-priority-according-to-delta-dental-survey-301652702.html
SOURCE Delta Dental Plans Association